- It is a statutory requirement that schools provide safeguarding training to their staff once a year as a minimum.
- The DFE clarified guidance on the expectations of online safety education in schools in June 2019.
- Schools can work towards meeting these expectations with the OSA’s free online safety training for staff.
- The course provides tangible data and evidence that your staff have received and understood training on this important topic.
Updated for the 2019-2020 academic year
Our CPD updated training takes into account the latest issues and DFE guidance. Staff must successfully complete each of the following units to gain the certificate:
- Module One: Introduction
- Statutory requirements, including Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE);
- Procedures and policies for reporting safeguarding concerns;
- Summary of DFE guidance on online teaching;
- Summary of GDPR responsibilities for school staff.
- Module Two: Online risks to children
- Social media management for pupils;
- Online bullying;
- Physical and mental health issues;
- Grooming including radicalisation;
- Live streaming;
- Digital footprint management.
- Module Three: Supporting children
- Educating pupils;
- Internal and external support channels.
- Module Four: Staff use of digital technologies
- Awareness of school policies and expectations;
- Staff management of personal social media accounts;
- Managing communication with pupils and parents;
- Teacher Regulation Agency case studies of staff charged for inappropriate use of technology.
The course is delivered entirely online. Training is provided through high-quality presentations incorporating interactive activities, recent case studies, videos, extended reading opportunities and opportunities for reflection. Greater levels of interaction have been included than in the previous version of this course, with knowledge checks built into all resources.
Just a quick one to let you know how the whole school training went. I setup an INSET afternoon where every staff member completed the OSA staff training package supplied by yourself. All staff members spoke highly of the course, some said it was far more informative than a more expensive course we purchased in the past from a well known charity that supports children. As an administrator of the course I was able to track and monitor progress of all staff members with ease. The mini tests at the end of each module ensured that staff members read the course material thoroughly, some chose to take notes to support them with the tests.
I felt there was a good balance between guidance on specific applications (i.e. WhatsApp, Snap Chat etc) and generic guidance and support on the topic as a whole.
More recently we applied for (and gained) an Online Safety quality mark for the school. An external assessor came to scrutinise our provision, he quizzed the knowledge and training of our staff and students. The courses you have provided to both staff and students helped them to answer all questions confidently. Staff now feel confident and knowledgeable enough to support our young people when necessary.
Please could you keep me informed of any developments in your courses as I would be keen in investing further in the future.
Keep up the good work!
Designated LAC Teacher & Online Safety Lead
Gain free access to OSA Certificate of staff CPD
The OSA Certificate of staff CPD is free for all members of staff in your school to access and complete. All we ask is that you agree for the Online Safety Alliance to contact you very occasionally to update you on online safety issues for teachers and schools (one contact email per school is sufficient).
Get your free access to this important training today. Click here to get started.
Already have an enrolment key? Click here to download the user guide.
See the flyer below for more details about this popular course. Please share it with colleagues involved in managing CPD and safeguarding within your establishment.